CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

1/15/2010 5 Point taken by JIMMIE LOATS JR???? That can't be right, he doesn't kill deer?????

Jimmie Jr. 5 Point 1/15/2010

Well it is true, I finally shot SOMETHING worth shooting!! It sure is lacking in spread and points, but he was fairly heavy and tall, so I'll take it. It could be called a 6 point I guess, it had two kickers and one measured one inch, but we use a metal ring at the club and pass something over the top and due to the thickness of the metal one of the kickers BARELY didn't make it. So I'm going to roll with the Club way and call it a 5 point.

It was Friday afternoon and I had let a smaller buck walk the night before. This one came down the same trail back at me on the ridge behind me at 4:50 PM. As soon as he came out he was looking at me, almost at eye level with me, in fact I think he was above me. I saw he was tall and only had one brow tine, and I laid him down with the first shot from my new 7 Mag which was pretty cool! I guess it is hard to miss at 18.5 yards! Because of the angle I didn't know he was as tall or heavy as he was until I got to him because he was in some thicket, but whatever, 165 pound deer is a mature buck for our parts (probably 3 - 3.5 years old) and I'll take him.

I put some pics in the show in the woods where I got him, also of his back hooves which we've had a few with weird white markings here this year???

Still hoping for a bigger one in the last two weeks, but if not, I'll take this guy for this season and be perfectly happy with it for sure.

0 comments: